Tuesday, May 19, 2009

 

New Adventures

Well in the interest of working towards possibly competing at the regional qualifiers for the CrossFit games in May 2010 I have started rotating in some metcons again. I think the Starting Strength stuff has really helped. In fact, last week I did one of the workouts from the eastern Canada qualifiers:
21 1.5 pood (53 lb, I used 55 lb) swings
21 burpees
15 swings
15 burpees
9 swings
9 burpees
I was exhausted afterward and finished in 5:30 or so. I was curious so I looked up my time in comparison to the men's competitors. I wouldn't have been last at least! There's room for improvement, but I think for a first attempt, that was good to figure out where I stand a little bit. Also completed the other following WODs:
Cindy in the park:
AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 20 minutes:
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats
I always lose count with Cindy. I think I got upwards of 15 rounds, but I really have no idea. I was doing pullups on the monkey bars with a neutral grip and that really killed me. All pullups were from a dead hang.
Also did this WOD yesterday and finished in just over 20 minutes. I scaled to a 135 pound bench press because I didn't want to have to deal with a spotter. The 2000 meter row at the end was just brutal.
Sunday I just did a run around Lake Nokomis, stopping for some pullups and pushups here and there. Tried to keep it at a pretty uncomfortable pace.
And today I was inspired by a Twitter post to give Helen a shot:
3 rounds
400 m run
21 1.5 pood (53 lb, but I used 55 lb) swings
12 pullups.
I finished in just over 13 minutes. My kipping pullup technique needs a lot of work. At the end I could barely do 1's and 2's of pullups. The swings weren't too much trouble. First set was unbroken. The 2nd two sets were broken: 16 straight, quick breather, 5 more to finish.
Feeling pretty good about where I'm at. Tomorrow's WOD is 4 rounds of 400 meter run, 50 air squats. I can already feel my legs aching. Awesome!
Still debating what to do about joining a CrossFit gym. I could definitely use the competition and camraderie. CrossFit MSP would be my first choice; over in St. Louis Park. It looks like there is a CrossFit Minneapolis opening in a couple weeks over on Broadway which would be REALLY convenient. I'll have to wait and see I guess. Anybody want to join me for this journey?? 3,2,1, this is gonna suck, GO!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?